Department of Dental Hygiene, Dongnam Health University 1
Department of Preventive Dentistry & Public Oral Health, College of Dentistry, Yonsei University2
Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Nursing and Healthcare Sciences, Dong-Eui University3
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to provide basic data on the current status and ways to improve the dental hygiene society by investigating working conditions, working experience, dental institution types among some dental hygienists, and ways to improve the dental hygiene society. Methods: This study conducted an online survey to 450 graduates of the department of dental hygiene in colleges in Gyeonggi, Jeolla and Gangwon Provinces. This study got some help in securing the list of graduates from the heads of the departments. SPSS WIN 23.0 was used to analyze the data. Results: To questions on what is the most important thing in considering to apply for jobs, the highest proportion (39.1%) of respondents designated employee welfare, followed by improvement of clinical dental hygiene (34.0%), of welfare related contents (26.0%), and salary (19.5%). In the relationship between employee welfare and dental institution type and between employee welfare and work experience, employee welfare tend to rise with the increase of work years. In the relationship between the director and staff members, it was found that as work years accumulate, the relationship tends to decrease. The dental clinic with no more than five staff members showed the best relationship between the leader and co-workers, while employee welfare was the highest in the other types of clinics, and the differences were statistically significant. Conclusions: Dental hygienists need to make various efforts to improve their statuses as professionals. In order to secure a part of professionalism, it is necessary for them to make more efforts to realize the health-care professionals being promoted by the Dental Hygienists Association of Korea.
1. Choi EY, Kim SA. Dental hygiene students’ expectation toward employment. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2004;6(1):111-23.
2. Jeong EY, Kim SH, Kim JK. A study on work value factors and professional attitude factors of dental hygiene students in parts. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(3):439-48. https://doi.org/ 10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.3.439
3. Park MS, Kim J, Kim HJ, Bae SM, Yoon MS, Jang YJ, et al. Dental hygiene. Seoul: Daehan Narae; 2016: 64-72.
4. Jeong SH, Seo YK, Son EY, Choi YH, Song KB. Analysis of job satisfaction and related factors of dental auxiliaries. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2005;29(3):281-92.
5. Ahn YS, Shin SJ, Jung SH, Lee YS, Lim DS. Comparison of job description and turnover trend among dental hygienists and assistant nurses in dental clinics. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2006;30(3):303-15.
6. Kang BW. A study on causal relationships between antecedent and outcom variables of orga-ni-zational commitment among dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Oral Health Promotion 2001; 1(1):1-22.
7. Lee SM, Kim SC, Han SJ. A study of work values on the students of dental hygiene department. J Dent Hyg Sci 2005;5(4):239-44.
8. Park SS. A study on the relationship of characteristics to job satisfaction among dental hy-gie-nists. J Korean Acad Dental Hyg Educ 2008;8(1):45-57.
9. Jung JO. Seoul some dental hygienist in the factors affecting job satisfaction study. J Korean Acad Dental Hyg Educ 2009;9(3):392-402.
10. Shim HS, Lee HN. A study factors affecting the job satisfaction of dental hygienists in part areas. J Dent Hyg 2010;10(4):555-65.
11. Lee CS, Lim SH, Han JH. The effect of the intramural marketing activities in dental hygienist’ on job satisfaction and turnover intention in dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(1): 15-22.
12. Kim YS, Park HS. A study on work environment and job satisfaction of dental hygienists in Daegu and Gyeonsangbuk-do. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(6):600-6.
13. Moon AE. The relationship between working environment factors and stress and musculos-ke-letal disorders in dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(4):472-9. https://doi.org/10.17135/ jdhs.2015.15.4.472
14. Youn HJ, Park YN, Ha MO. A study on factors affecting the job satisfaction of dental hy-gienists in Gwangju. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2009;9(4):699-714.
15. Lee SS. Professionalism and job satisfaction in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(4):535-42. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.535
16. Cho HE, Moon IB. The effects of job satisfaction by the optimism, self-efficacy and job stres-ses of dental hygienists. Korean Public Health Res 2014;40(4):121-32.
17. Han SY, Cho YC. Covariance structure analysis on the impact of job stress, fatigue symptoms and job satisfaction on turnover intention among dental hygienists. J Korea Acad Coop Soc 2016;17(7):629-40. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.7.629
18. Chung KY. The influence of dental hygienist images and career advice among high school teachers. J Dent Hyg Sci 2017;17(2):108-15. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.2.108
19. Kwon SY, Lee YJ. Women’ career-interrupted determine factors and reentry into the labor market. Econ Res Inst 2010;39:46-57.
20. Park SM. The longitudinal research on the Korean women’s second labor market transition. Korean Assoc Womens Stud 2003;26:43-80.
21. Lee KJ, Bae HS. The factors affecting the intention of career discontinuity of a married women dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(6):786-93.
22. Jang SY, Kim HK. The satisfaction with study majors and professionalism of newly admitted students of dental hygiene. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2015;17(1):21-9.
23. Yoo JH, Noh HJ. The relationship between the factors of job selection and movement - based on dental hygienists who graduated college in metropolitan area. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009;33(4):664-72.
24. Son EG, Song KH. Comparison of job selection criteria between dental hygienists and stu-dents. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2014;16(1):33-42.
25. Kim HS. A study on the types of work values of radiologic technology students. J Korea Soc Rad Sic 2007;30(3):271-7.
26. Kang JK, Kim KM. Study on the professional attitude and the image of dental hygienist in the dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2006;6(4):263-9.
27. Han SJ, Lee SM, Lim MH. A survey on preliminary dental hygienists’ senses of employment. J Korean Acad Dental Hyg Educ 2007;7(4):583-94.
28. Cheon SH, Lee HY, Cho MS. The relationship between vocational calling and ethical incli-nation in clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(6):813-30. https://doi.org/ 10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.813