Department of Dental Hygiene, Kyungwoon University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to investigate the factors related to gingival symptoms by mental health factors among the adolescents in Korea. Methods: The data were used which were collected from the web-based survey of the National 2016 Korean Youth Risk Behavior of Korean Center for Disease Control. The study sample comprised of 65,528 adolescents in middle- and high schools. Data were analyzed using SPSS Ver. 20.0 and multiple regression analysis was conducted to identify the factors related to gingival symptoms by mental health factors. Results: The relationship between mental health factors and gingival symptoms were examined. And, subject characteristics about gingival symptoms were identified to be significant factors such as gender, grade, economic level, smoking and drinking status in all poor mental health groups. The number of brushing per day was related to the gingival symptoms for both good mental health groups and poor mental health groups. Conclusions: Mental health, characteristics, health behaviors of the adolescents should be considered when establishing the policies and institutions to improve oral health targeted adolescents.
1. Lee WJ, Jung TE, Park JK, Sim SH. Association between mental health with oral health behaviors in Korean adolescents. J Korean Soc Sch & Commun Health Educ 2017;18(1): 13-29.
2. Korea Occupational Safety Health Agency. Standardization of job stress measurement scale for Korean employees (The 2nd year project)[Internet]. [cited 2018 Feb 1]. Available from: http://www.kosha.or.kr/trList.do?codeSeq=4110000&medForm=101&menuId=-4110000101
3. Jhang JH, Ko JH. Adolescents' stress and mental health: hope as a moderator. Korea J Youth Counseling 2010;18(2):101-16.
4. Ministry of Health and Welfare. Korea national health and nutrition examination survey 2016 [Internet]. [cited 2018 Feb 1]. Available from: http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/sub04/sub 04_ 03.do?classType=7.
5. Jung SK. Psychosocial understand of the stress. Psychosom Med 2001;9(1):66-77.
6. Lee SJ, Jang JH. The relationship between knowledge, attitude of periodontal diseases and dental health behavior in adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(4):817-25.
7. Lee MR. The association of smoking and drinking status with gingival symptoms among the adolescents in Korea. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(5):865-74. https://doi.org/10.13065/ jksdh.2017.17.05.865
8. Ministry of Health and Welfare. Korea national oral health survey 2015[Internet]. [cited 2018 Feb 1]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsListIndex.do?menuId=M_01_01& vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parmTabId=M_01_01
9. Lim CY, Ju HJ, Lee NG, Oh HW, Lee HS. Relationship between restricted activity due to oral diseases and oral health behaviors among adolescents. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2013;37(2): 73-80. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2013.37.2.73
10. Kang HK. The effect of maintenance in periodontal disease patients[Master’s thesis]. Busan: Univ. of Kosin, 2004.
11. Jung JH, Kim KY, Jeong SH, Kim KS, Lee YM. The effect of the oral health behaviors on the periodontal status in teenagers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(2):163-71. https://doi.org/10. 13065/jksdh.2014.14,02.163
12. Ma JK, Park EJ, Kim CY. Effect of health behavior on periodontal disease of adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(4):617-23. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.04.617
13. Park HJ, Kim HW, Ko SY, Lee JH. Moderating effects of oral health behaviors on the relation between daily stress and oral health status in Korean adolescents. Korean Public Health Research 2015;41(1):81-93.
14. Lee SH. Relationship of sleep duration to periodontal disease in youth. J Digital Convergence 2017;15(9):311-9. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.9.311
15. Ma JK, Cho MJ. Association of sleep time, stress, and depression with the oral health status of Korean adolescents. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2016;40(3):178-82. https://doi.org/10,11149/ jkaoh.2016.40.3.178
16. Kim SR, Han SJ. The relationship between perceived oral health status and entrance exam stress levels in high school students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(4):509-17. https://doi.org/ 10,17135/jdhs.2015.15.4.509
17. Peruzzo DC, Benatti BB, Ambrosano GM, Nogueira-Filho GR, Sallum EA, Casati MZ, et al. A systematic review of stress and psychological factors as possible risk factor for periodontal disease. J Periodontol 2007;78(8):1491-504. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2007.060371
18. Chun JY, Lee KH. The correlation between oral health factors and mental health factors in Korean adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(4):669-80. https://doi.org/10,13065/ jksdh.2017.17.04.669
19. Guerra NG, Huesmann LR, Tolan PH, Van Acker R, Eron LD. Stressful events and individual beliefs as correlates of economic disadvantage and aggression among urban children. J Consult Clin Psychol 1995;63(4):518-28.
20. Lee MY, Choi EM, Chung WG, Son JH, Chang SJ. The effects of perceived stress on dietary habits and oral health behaviors in Korean adolescents. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013;13(4):440-8.
21. Oh TJ, Eber R, Wang HL. Periodontal disease in children and adolescents. J Clin Periodontol 2002;29(5):400-10.
22. Albandar JM, Rams TE. Risk factors for periodontitis in children and young persons. Periodontol 2000 2002;29:207-22.
23. Park JY, Kim SM. Effects of stress perception level on dietary habits and oral health behaviors in adolescents. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(2):111-7. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.2.111
24. Goo YO. Sleep quality and melancholy degree of high school students[Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Kyungpook National, 2006.
25. Park SH, Kang JH, Chun JS, Oh HJ. A longitudinal comparative study of mental health between adolescent smokers and adolescent nonsmokers. J Adolesc Welf 2010;12(2):75-94.
26. Ma JK, Park EJ, Kim CY. Effect of health behavior on periodontal disease of adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(4):617-23. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.04.617.
27. Kim MS, Park HS, Kim YS. Correlation between health behaviors and experiences of oral diseases in adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(3):513-21. https://doi.org/10.13065/ jksdh.2015.15.03.513.
28. Jun MJ, Kim JS. The convergence impact of oral health behaviors, health behaviors to stress in Korean adolescents. J Korea Convergence Soc 2017;8(4):139-48. https://doi.org/10.15207/ JKCS.2017.8.4.139
29. Park JH, Kim CS. Relationship between health behavior and oral symptoms in Korean ado-lescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):813-21. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15. 05.813
30. Jung YY. A study of the relation of stress to oral health-related of life in male high school students of chungnam. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14(2):158-66.
31. Jung JH, Kim KY, Jeong SH, Kim KS, Lee YM. The effects of the oral health behaviors on the periodontal status in teenagers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(2):163-71. https://doi.org/ 10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.163.