Department of Dental Hygiene, Graduate School of Hanseo University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Health Science, Dankook University2
Objectives: The study was a cross-sectional research to examine dental hygiene students' multi-cultural experiences, emotional intelligence and cultural competency and to understand the correlations among them. Methods: The study was conducted from September 1st to October 31st 2016, based on the survey of 449 students in the department of dental hygiene at 7 Universities. The questionnaire consisted of 57 questions including general characteristics (n=7), multi-cultural experiences (n=7), emotional intelligence (n=16) and cultural competency (n=27). Results: Each score of students' emotional intelligence and cultural competency is 3.43 and 3.01 respectively in 5-point scale. An analysis of correlations between emotional intelligence and cultural competency shows that the higher the emotional intelligence, the higher the cultural competency (r=0.342). The factors affecting the cultural competency include use of emotions (β= 0.327, p<0.001), control of emotions (β=0.254, p=0.001), frequency of multi-cultural media (β=0.221, p<0.001) and experience of multi-cultural class (β=0.221, p=0.002). The modified explanatory power in this model is 28.2% (F=10.856, p<0.001). Conclusions: There was a positive correlation between emotional intelligence and cultural competency, and the contacts with multi-culture and experience of class are identified as the affecting factors. Dental hygiene students should acquire theoretical experiences regarding the multi-culture through curriculum or continuous educations and it is necessary to promote such educations in order to develop and apply the programs for the enhancement of emotional intelligence.
1. Saha S, Komaromy M, Koespell TD, Bindman AB. Patient-physician racial concordance and the perceived quality and use of health care. Arch Intern Med 1999;159(9):997-1004.
2. MOIS, Number of foreigners resident[Internet]. [cited 2017 Nov 20.] Available from: http:// www.mois.go.kr/frt/bbs/type001/commonSelectBoardArticle.do?bbsId=BBSMSTR_000000000014&nttId=60528
3. MOHW. A foreign patient[Internet]. [cited 2017 Nov 20.] Available from: http://www.mohw. go.kr/react/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&page=1&CONT_SEQ=339402&SEARCHKEY=TITLE&SEARCHVALUE=외국인
4. Betancourt JR, Green AR, Carrillo JE, Ananeh-Firempong O. Defining cultural competence: a practical framework for addressing racial/ethnic disparities in health and health care. Public Health Rep 2003;118(4):293-302. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0033-3549(04)50253-4
5. Epsteins RM, Hunder EM. Defining and assessing professional competence. J Am Med Assoc 2002;287(2):226-35.
6. Lum D. Culturally competent practice: A framework for understanding diverse groups and social and economic justice issues. 4th ed. Belmont, CA: Cengage Learning Brooks-Cole; 2011: 3-47.
7. Suh EE. The model of cultural competence through an evolutionary concept analysis. J Trans-cult Nurs 2004;15(2):93-102. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659603262488
8. Nho CR, Kim JH. Development of Korean cultural competency scale for human service wor-kers. Korean J Soc Welfare 2011;63(2):207-31. https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2011.63.2.009
9. Kim A, Lee MK. The effect of organizational cultural competence on workers' diversity percep-tion and intercultural communication competence in multicultural service agencies: A mode-rating role of cultural competence training experience. J Korean Soc Welfare Admin 2015; 17(3):135-61.
10. Han JH, Kim KE. Interpersonal skills caused by emotional intelligence and ego resilience of students majoring in dental hygiene. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(6):746-52. https://doi.org/10. 17135/jdhs.2015.15.6.746
11. Kim JM. The relationship between emotional intelligence cultural empathy and cultural com-petency in nursing students[Master’s thesis]. Busan: Univ. of Kosin, 2016.
12. Daugherty-Wood, H. N. Measuring the impact of cultural competence training for dental hy-giene students[Doctoral dissertation]. Ohio: Univ. of Ohio State, 2015.
13. Kim HJ. Nam JY. Related factors of oral health-related quality of life of migrant women in multicultural families. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(1):93-101. https://doi.org/10.13065/ jksdh.2016.16.01.93
14. Nam IS, Yoon SU, Kim JS. Toothbrushing behavior and oral health state of immigrant wor-kers. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(1):1-11. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.1.1
15. KIm JY, Jung MH. A study on oral health state of immigrant workers with DMFT-index. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2007;7(2):123-33.
16. Jang SH, Lee GH. Awareness and educational needs towards the multicultural family in dental hygienists in public health center. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(2):189-96. https://doi.org/ 10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.189
17. Em AJ. Dental hygienists’ multicultural awareness and actual condition survey of educa-tion [Master’s thesis]. Cheonan: Univ. of Dankook, 2011.
18. Jung HW, Kim CH. A study on the effect of emotional intelligence on organizatopnal citi-zenship behavior-moderating effect of leader-member exchange (LMX)-. J Human Resource Management Res 2007;14(3):167-86.
19. Wong CS, Law KS, The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude. The Leadership Quarterly 2002;13(3):243-74.
20. Han SY, Chung HI. Development of a cultural competence scale for nursing students. J Korean Acad Nurs 2015;45(5):684-93. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.5.684
21. Yang SJ. Health Status, Health Care Utilization and Related Factors among Asian Immigrant Women in Korea. J Korean Public Health Nurs 2010;24(2):323-35.
22. Lee EM, Kim SH. Influence of multicultural awareness and cultural sensitivity on intercultural communication skills of the Korean nursing students. J Korean Acad-Industrial Cooperation Soc 2017;18(4):459-68. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.4.459
23. Suh YS. Kwon YC. Factors influencing to the cultural competence in nursing students. J Digital Convergence 2014;12(6):415-23. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.415
24. Kim JY. A study on color-blind racial attitudes and cultural competence of service providers in multicultural settings-focusing on moderating effects of multicultural training- Korean. Korean J Family Soc Work 2014;45(1):5-34.
25. Park DY, Jung KH. The influence of self esteem, interpersonal relations and intercultural communicative competence on cultural competence of nursing students. J Kor Cont Assoc 2014;14(11):337-46. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.11.337
26. Cho MK Jang HK. Factors influencing cultural competency among nursing students. J Korean Data Analysis Soc 2015;17(5):2795-808.
27. Cho MK, Shin IN, Lee YJ, Lee JH, Jang EH, Jung HR, et al. University nursing students’ empathic ability and cultural competency. Perspect Nurs Sci 2015;12(2):106-14. https://doi.org/ 10.16952/pns.2015.12.2.106
28. Park MS. The relationship between emotional intelligence and cultural competency in dental hygiene students[Master’s thesis]. Seosan: Univ. of Hanseo, 2017.