Department of Public Health, Graduated School of Yeungnam University1
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, College of Medicine, Yeungnam University2
Objectives: This study was performed to characterize edema of the lower extremities that occurs among hygienists during working hours, and to determine the effects of the use of elastic compression stockings. Methods: The study subjects were 40 dental hygienists working at a dental hospital in Daegu. Symptoms of edema of the lower extremities during working hours were characterized by measurement of calf and ankle circumference. Results: Calf and ankle circumference increased during working hours. The use of elastic compression stockings reduced edema of the lower extremities during working hours. Conclusions: Use of elastic compression stockings can reduce levels of lower extremity edema among dental hygienists.
1. The Korean Association of Internal Medicine. Harrison’s principles of internal medicine. 18th ed. Seoul: MIP; 2013: 2032-41.
2. Sisto T, Reunanen A, Laurikka J, Impivaara O, Heli ö vaara M, Knekt P, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of varicose veins in lower extremities: mini-Finland health survey. Eur J Surg 1995;161(6):405-14.
3. Chae MS. Healing varicose veins. 1st ed. Busan: Jeonmang; 2013: 1-158.
4. Ministry of Employment and Labor, Korea Occupational Safety & Health Agency. Guide to preventing health disorders for standing workers. Ulsan: KOSHA; 2010: 1-17.
5. Kroeger K, Ose C, Rudofsky G, Roesener J, Hirche H. Risk factors for varicose veins. Int Angiol 2004;23(1):29-34.
6. Kho HJ, Kim MY, Kwon YS, Kim CN, Park KM, Park JS, et al. The fatigue experience of shift work nurses. J Korean Community Health Nurs Acad Soc 2004;18(1):103-18.
7. Swedborg I. Effects of treatment with an elastic sleeve and intermittent pneumatic compression in post-mastectomy patients with lymphoedema of the arm. Scand J Rehabil Med 1984;16(1):35-41.
8. Stemmer R, Marescaux J, Furderer C. Compression therapy of the lower extremities particularly with compression stockings. Hautarzt 1980;31(7):355-65.
9. Partsch H, Mostbeck A, Leitner G. Experimental studies on the efficacy of pressure wave massage (Lymphapress) in lymphedema. Z Lymphol 1981;5(1):35-9.
10. Moon HJ. A study on musculoskeletal pain management among dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2007;9(1):35-45.
11. Park SH, Hyon WS, Lee JK, Lee YK. Paradigm shift in orthognathic surgery: surgery first orthognathic approach and aesthetic two-jaw surgery. J Korean Soc Aesthetic Plast Surg 2010;16(2):9-14.
12. Jeong SA. The factors influent on treatment decision for the need of implant on dental clinic patient [Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Korea, 2010.
13. Ministry of Employment and Labor, Korea Employment Information Service. 2017 Korea occupational outlook. Eumseong: Korea Employment Information Service; 2017: 1-911.
14. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korean Health Industry Development Institute, Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service, National Health Insurance Service. National Health and Medical Care Survey 2017. Cheongwon: Korean Health Industry Development Institute; 2017: 1-622.
15. Kim YS, Lee BS. Effects of the application of elastic compression stockings on edema and pain of lower extremity in hospital nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2006;12(3):145-23.
16. Cho YR. The effects of elastic compression stocking on lower leg pain and edema in ward nurses [Master’s thesis]. Muan: Univ. of Chodang, 2017.
17. Kang SA. Effects of taping therapy on edema, pain and fatigue of lower extremities in hospital nurses [Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Konkuk, 2011.
18. Lee SH, Kim GT. Clinical application of compression therapy. J Korean Soc Phlebol 2004;3(1):25-8.
19. Kang DM, Lee JT, Kang MS, Park SH, Urm SH, Kim SJ, et al. Prevalence on dermatologic, respiratory and musculoskeletal symptoms among hairdressers. Ann Occup Environ Med 1999;11(3):385-92.
20. Jung C, Lim HS, Yu SH. A case of chronic lower venous insufficiency due to constant standing. Dongkuk Medical 2003;10(1):105-9.
21. Song KH, Kwon OE, Kim HS, Kim KH. A Clinical Analysis of the Risk Factors of Varicose Veins in Korean. Korean J Dermatol 2005;43(6):762-8.
22. Orlando AR, King PM. Relationship of demographic variables on perception of fatigue and discomfort following prolonged standing under various flooring conditions. J Occup Rehabil 2004;14(1):63-76.
23. Anthony F, Eugene B, Dennis K, Stephen H, Dan L, J. Jameson, et al. Harrison’s principles of internal medicine. 17th ed. New York: Mcgraw-hill; 2008: 1568-75.
24. Iwama H, Furuta S, Ohmizo H. Graduated compression stocking manages to prevent economy class syndrome. Am J Emerg Med 2002;20(4):378-80.
25. Nam GE. Effect of the application of elastic compression stockings on edema and pain of lower extremities in operation nurses [Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Chungang, 2011.
26. Kang MS. Effects of lower limb muscular exercise and wearing elastic compression stockings on the lower extremity edema and pain scale of the office women [Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Korea National Sport, 2015.
27. Choi YS. Effects of the application of lower extremities exercise and elastic compression stockings on edema and pain of lower extremities in nurses. JKAIS 2015;16(11):8037-45. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.8037
28. Hwang BH, Song SW, Kim SM. Effects of the application of ankle pumping exercise and elastic compression stockings for the women’s lower leg edema due to continuous standing work. PNF & Mov 2014;12(1):27-31.
29. American Physiological Society. Handbook of physiology. 1st ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1996: 705-69.