Department of Dental Hygiene, Graduate school, Namseoul University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Namseoul University2
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to identify the factors affecting the oral health behavior of mothers in multicultural families and the oral health management of children. Methods: The subjects were 303 mothers in multicultural families having children in childhood. To verify the validity of the outcome, a factorial analysis was conducted. To examine differences in the outcome according to socio-demographic characteristics, a one-way ANOVA was used, and the hypothesis was tested through a multiple regression analysis. Results: According to the results, it was found that severity, self-efficacy, sensitivity, and multicultural disability that show attitudes had significant impact on the mother’s oral health behavior. Moreover, it was found that self-efficacy, sensitivity, and the mother’s oral health behavior that show attitudes had significant impact on the children’s oral health management. Conclusions: Based on the results of this study, it would be necessary to increase the interest in mother-and-child oral health, developing a mother-and-child oral health education program targeted toward the oral health of the mothers and children in multicultural families. Moreover, it is essential to educate mothers in multicultural families in order to increase their sense of responsibility toward their children’s oral health management, aiming to promote knowledge and to change attitudes and behavior.
1. Ahn CS. A prediction model for health care behaviors of multi-cultural mothers on their infants and toddlers[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Korea, 2010.
2. Ministry of justice. February 2018 monthly report on immigration foreign policy. Gwacheon: Ministry of justice; 2018: 28.
3. Ministry of the interior and safety . Current status of international marriage family children by age. Daejeon: Statistics Korea; 2008: 1.
4. Kim HN. Oral health behaviors of mothers and their children in multicultural family [Master’s thesis]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2011.
5. Jeong GH, Koh HJ, Kim KS, Kim SH, Kim JH, Park HS, et al. A survey on health management of during pregnancy, childbirth, and the postpartum of immigrant women in a multi-cultural family. Korean J Women Health Nurs 2009;15(4):261-9. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.4.261
6. Kim HJ. A study of spousal support, the demand for health education, and quality of life for married female immigrants. Korean J Women Health Nurs 2008;14(1):5-11.
7. Kim KW. Pregnancy and childbirth experiences of immigrant women in a multi-cultural family. J Korean Soc Matern Child Health 2010;14(2):133-44.
8. Jun BH, Choi YS, Cho YS. The effects of parent’ oral care on children. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009;33(2):211-26.
9. Chang BJ. Study on dental health knowledge and behavior of mothers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2006;6(2):153-64.
10. Petersen PE. Oral health behavior of 6 year old danish children. Acta Odontol Scand 1992;50(1):57-64.
11. Al-Omiri MK, AL-Wahadni AM. Oral health attitudes, knowledge, and behavior among school children in north jordan. J Dent Educ 2006;70(2):179-87.
12. Jang HK, Park HS, Kim SH. A study on oral health knowledge and behavior of mothers of children attending kindergartens and child care facilities in some parts of chungnam. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg Sci 2013;13(1):30-7.
13. Cho YS, Hwang YJ, Bae HS, Kim SY. Effect of oral health education practice and self-efficacy of teacher on oral health attitude. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(1):99-108.
14. Ku IY, Ryu HG. A study on the oral health belief and oral health behaviors of marriage immigrant women in multi-cultural family. J Korean Clin Health Sci 2015;3(4):456-65.
15. Lee NK, Oh HW, Lee HS. A comparative analysis of oral health behavior between multicultural and ordinary korean families mothers and children. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2011;35(4):450-56.
16. Bae JS. Comparison study on the oral health behaviors of multicultural family adolescents and native family adolescents in korea. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2014;31(5):71-9.
17. Lee TH. Development of customized model for multicultural family in Seoul [Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul National, 2016.
18. Ahn HY, Yi Gm. Application of dental health program for elementary school children. J Korean Acad Child Health Nurs 2010;16(1):49-55.
19. Choi HS. Application of mothers involved in the dental health program for children[Doctoral dissertation]. Daejeon: Univ. of Eulji, 2012.
20. Choi MS. The effect of oral health education program for cross-border marital women[Doctoral dissertation]. Gyeongsan: Univ. of Yeungnam, 2013.
21. Becker MH, Haefner DP, Kasl SV, Kirscht JP, Maiman LA, Rosenstock IM. Selected psychosocial models and correlated of individual health-related behaviors. Med Care 1977;15(5):27-46.
22. Choi YJ. The effects of oral health belief on the oral disease preventive activities and oral health management capacity[Doctoral dissertation]. Busan: Univ. of Kosin, 2012.
23. Buunk-Werkhoven YAB, Dijkstra A, van der Schans CP. Determinants of oral hygiene behavior: a study based on the theory of planned behavior. Community Dent Oral Epi 2011;39(3):250-9.
24. Cho HR. Knowledge and attitudes towards infant oral health, and related health behavior among parents. Child Health Nurs Res 2014;20(3):196-204.
25. Kang YM, Cho YS. Impact of mother’ oral health literacy on preschool children’ oral health status and behavior. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(1):26-36. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.1.26
26. Kang HS, Kim KH, Chung HK. The effects of oral care on children by parents. J Korean Soc School Health 2000;13(2):319-29.
27. Zhang W. Chinese culture and dental behaviour. New Zealand Dent J 2009;105(1):22-7.
28. Kim HS. Impacts of acculturation & acculturative stress on depression among international marriage migrant women. Korean Association of Health and Medical Sociology 2012;32(32):43-74.
29. Lee BE. Association between oral health belief and oral health care behaviors of a mother with children in infancy[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha Womans, 2014.
30. Ka KH, Moon SJ, Ku IY. The relationship between of marriage migrant women’s oral health belief and self-efficacy on oral health awareness. J Korea Acad Indus Soc 2015;16(12):8487-97.