Objectives: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the association between asthma and dental caries by using data from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES), from 2013 to 2015. Methods: The study included 11,731 subjects who were ≥19 years of age and analyzed their demographic-, socioeconomic-, health-, and oral health care-related data. The chi-squared test and logistic regression analysis were conducted using complex sample analyses to examine the relationship between asthma and dental caries. Results: Compared with the control group, the risk for dental caries in the asthma group was 1.207 times higher, regardless of various confounding factors (p<0.001). In the asthma group, the mean DMFT score was significantly higher than that in the control group (p<0.001). After adjusting for confounding factors, the mean number of DMFT in subjects with asthma was 7.67, which was higher than that in subjects without asthma (7.28) (p<0.001). Conclusions: The study results show that asthma may be a risk factor for dental caries. Therefore, in order to prevent dental caries in asthma patients, oral hygiene education is important.
1. Arafa A, Aldahlawi S, Fathi A. Assessment of the oral health status of asthmatic children. Eur J Dent 2017;11(3):357-63. https://doi.org/10.4103/ejd.ejd_65_17
2. Hargreave F, Nair P. The definition and diagnosis of asthma. Clin Exp Allergy 2009;39(11):1652-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2222.2009.03321.x
3. Kim SH, Lee JY, Son SW, Chang YS, Jung JW, Kim YK, et al. Prevalence of adult asthma based on questionnaires and methacholine bronchial provocation test in Seoul. J Asthma Allergy Clin Immunol 2001;21(4):618-27.
4. Jee HM, Kim KW, Kim CS, Sohn MH, Shin DC, Kim KE. Prevalence of asthma, rhinitis and eczema in korean children using the international study of asthma and allergies in childhood (ISAAC) questionnaires. Pediatr Allergy Respir Dis 2009;19(2):165-72.
5. Lee HS, Lee JC, Hong SC, Kim JW, Kim SY, Lee KH. Prevalence and risk factors for allergic diseases of preschool children living in Seogwipo, Jeju, Korea. Korean J Asthma Allergy Clin Immunol 2012;32(2):107-14.
6. Burr M, Butland B, King S, Vaughan-Williams E. Changes in asthma prevalence: two surveys 15 years apart. Arch Dis Child 1989;64(10):1452-6. https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.64.10.1452
7. Haahtela T, Lindholm H, Björkstén F, Koskenvuo K, Laitinen LA. Prevalence of asthma in Finnish young men. BMJ 1990;301(6746):266-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.301.6746.266
8. Kim SH, Son JY, Lee JT, Kim TB, Park HW, Lee JH, et al. Effect of air pollution on acute exacerbation of adult asthma in Seoul, Korea: A case-crossover study. Korean J Med 2010;78(4):450-6.
9. Ryberg M, Moller C, Ericson T. Effect of β2-adrenoceptor agonists on saliva proteins and dental caries in asthmatic children. J Dent Res 1987;66(8):1404-6. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345870660082401
10. Ryberg M, Moller G, Erigson T. Saliva composition and caries development in asthmatic patients treated with β2‐adrenoceptor agonists: a 4‐year follow‐up study. Eur J Oral Sci 1991;99(3):212-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0722.1991.tb01887.x
11. Ashuja RB, Nandini DB, Vidyasagar B, Ashwini R, Donoghue M, Madhushankari GS. Oral carriage of cariogenic bacteria and Candida albicans in asthmatic adults before and after anti-asthma medication: A longitudinal study. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2018;22(1):144. https://doi.org/10.4103/jomfp.JOMFP_235_15
12. Alavaikko S, Jaakkola MS, Tjaderhane L, Jaakkola JJ. Asthma and caries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Epidemiol 2011;174(6):631-41. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwr129
13. Ferrazzano GF, Sangianantoni G, Cantile T, Amato I, Ingenito A, Noschese P. Dental health in asthmatic children: a South Italy study. J Dent Child 2012;79(3):170-5.
14. Martins-Júnior PA, Vieira-Andrade RG, Corrêa-Faria P, Oliveira-Ferreira F, Marques LS, Ramos-Jorge ML. Impact of early childhood caries on the oral health-related quality of life of preschool children and their parents. Caries Res 2013;47(3):211-8. https://doi.org/10.1159/000345534
15. Subbarao P, Mandhane PJ, Sears MR. Asthma: epidemiology, etiology and risk factors. CMAJ 2009;181(9):E181-90. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.080612.
16. Lee BH. Reasons for extraction of permanent teeth in private dental clinics. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(1):1-6.
17. Mazzoleni S, Stellini E, Cavaleri E, Angelova Volponi A, Ferro R, Fochesato Colombani S. Dental caries in children with asthma undergoing treatment with short-acting beta2-agonists. Eur J Paediatr Dent 2008;9(3):132-8.
18. Daniel J Chiego. Essentials of oral histology and embryology: a clinical approach. 4th ed. Saint Louis:Elsevier; 2014: 89.
19. Bozejac BV, Stojsin I, Ethuric M, Zvezdin B, Brkanic T, Budisin E, et al. Impact of inhalation therapy on the incidence of carious lesions in patients with asthma and COPD. J Appl Oral Sci 2017;25(5):506-14. https://doi.org/10.1590/1678-7757-2016-0147
20. Lee KO, Lee KH, Kim DE. Long-term effects of syrup medication for asthma on the salivary invertase activity and deciduous caries. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 1998; 25(2):421-9.
21. Kim DE. Influences of syrup medication for asthma on the plaque index and gingival index. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 1998;25(1):157-61.
22. Storhaug K. Caries experience in disabled pre-school children. Acta Odontol Scand 1985;43(4):241-8. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016358509046504
23. Tanaka LS, Dezan CC, Fernandes KBP, Ferreira FBdA, Walter LRdF, Cerci Neto A, et al. The influence of asthma onset and severity on malocclusion prevalence in children and adolescents. Dental Press J Orthod 2012;17(1):50-7. https://doi.org/10.1590/s2176-94512012000100007
24. Ozturk A, Famili P, Vieira A. The antimicrobial peptide DEFB1 is associated with caries. J Dent Res 2010;89(6):631-6. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034510364491
25. Jain A, Bahuguna R. Role of matrix metalloproteinases in dental caries, pulp and periapical inflammation: An overview. J Oral Biol Craniofac Res 2015;5(3):212-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jobcr.2015.06.015
26. Chuang CY, Sun HL, Ku MS. Allergic rhinitis, rather than asthma, is a risk factor for dental caries. Clin Otolaryngol 2018;43(1):131-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/coa.12912
27. Maupome G, Shulman JD, Medina-Solis CE, Ladeinde O. Is there a relationship between asthma and dental caries?: a critical review of the literature. J Am Dent Assoc 2010;141(9):1061-74.
28. Korea centers for disease control and prevention. The 6th Korea national health and nutrition examination survey[Internet]. [cited 2018 Aug 30]. Available from: https://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/sub02/sub02_01.do
29. Chala S, Rouiffi S, Soualhi M, Bourkadi JE, Abouqal R, Abdallaoui F. Association between untreated carious lesions and asthma in adults at Rabat university hospital, morocco: a cross sectional study. BMC Res Notes 2017;10(1):221. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13104-017-2548-2
30. Bae SM, Kim HJ. Oral health status of the cognitive and behavioral brushing oral health problems in some adults. AJMAHS 2015;5(4):185-95. https://doi.org/10.14257/ajmahs.2015.08.08
31. Lee WY. The role of selected health-related behaviors in the socioeconomic disparities in oral health among adults. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2009;26(1):129-40.
32. Chung SY, Cho JW, Jung YS, Kim HY, Kim JY, Choi YH, et al. Association between unmet needs for dental treatment and the DMFT index among Korean adults. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2017;41(4):267-73. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2017.41.4.267