Department of Dental Hygiene, Daegu Health College1
Department of Dental Hygiene, Silla University2
Objectives: This study aimed to investigate the effects of verbal violence experience on stress and positive psychological capital as well as the mediating effects of positive psychological capital. Methods: A survey was conducted with dental hygienists working at university hospitals, general hospitals, and dental hospitals and clinics in Busan, Gyeongnam, and Ulsan areas.Of the 230 questionnaires distributed, 206 were used in the analysis after excluding 24 completed questionnaires that had errors or missing answers. Results: As a result of identifying the relationships between verbal violence damage, positive psychological capital, and stress, verbal violence damage was negatively correlated with positive psychological capital (r=-0.28, p<0.001) and positively correlated with stress (r=0.40, p<0.001). Positive psychological capital had a negative correlation with stress (r=-0.25, p<0.001). As a result of verifying the mediating effects of positive psychological capital on the relationship between verbal violence damage and stress among dental hygienists, it was found that verbal violence had a significant effect on stress and positive psychological capital in the first and second stages. In the third stage, the effect of positive psychological capital on stress was significant, showing that there was a mediating effect. Conclusions: Therefore, sound work environments should aim to reduce verbal violence while increasing support systems to reduce negative emotional and psychological states.
1. Lee JH, Choi JM, Lee YA. The help of experienced dental hygienists turnover verbal abuse and emotional reaction, and the resulting relationship. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14(4):563-70. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.4.563
2. Lee JS, Jeong HJ, Kim SH, Kim HJ. A research on the actual condition of healthcare worker. Seoul: Korean health and medical worker's Union: 2016: 55-6.
3. Park JN, Cheong JO, Lee SY. An emprical study on the relationships between the OPD nurse’s verbal violence experience, job satisfaction and turnover intention. Korea Public Management Review 2017;31(2):227-49.
4. Lee YS, Park SH. Nurses’ perceived organizational culture, verbal abuse and job stress. Jour of KoCon.a 2015;15(10):292-304. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.10.292
5. Oh EJ, Kim YS. A study on the relationship between upper-scale general hospital nurses’experience of verbal abuse and job stress. Korean J Occup Health Nurs 2015:24(3):173-82. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.3.173
6. Son JL, Jang JH. The relationship between dental hygienist's exposure to incivility at workplace and their turnover intention. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(5):779-89. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.05.779
7. Kim SY, Park KO, Kim JK. Nurses’ experience of incivility in general hospitals. J Korean Acad Nurs 2013;43(4):453-67. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.4.453
8. Cho EC, Moon IB, Kim JK. The effects of job satisfaction by the optimism, self-efficacy and job stresses of dental hygienists. Korean Pubic Health Research 2014;40(4):121-32.
9. F. Luthans, C. M. Youssef. Emerging positive organizational behavior. Journal of Management 2007;33(3):321-49. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206307300814
10. Kim SO, Wang MS. A study on emotional labor, positive resources and job burnout in clinical nurses. JKAIS 2015;16(2):1273-83. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1273
11. Lee HM, Song HD. Structural relationship among positive psychological capital, perceived organizational support, work engagement, and innovative behaviors for IT sales persons. KSLP 2017;19(4):23-47.
12. Young SW, Han NO. The effects of job stress and psychosocial stress among dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(5):679-87. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.5.679
13. Nam KD, Yoon KS, Chung HS, Park SA, Jang BY, Sung YH. Verbal abuse of operating nurses by physicians and other nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2006;12(3):343-54.
14. Lee DS, Choi YD. A study on antecedents and consequences of positive psychological capital in organizations. Korean Academic Society of Business Administration 2010;39(1):1-28.
15. Eun HJ, Kwon TW, Lee SM, Kim TH, Choi MR, Cho SJ. A study on reliability and validity of the Korean version of impact of event scale-revised. The Korean Neuropsy Chiatric Association 2005;44(3):303-10.
16. Moon HJ, Han YS, Cho YS, Lim SR. A study on verbal abuse experience and coping strategies of dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(3):348-54. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.3.348
17. Im MS, Park KH, Choi EK, Kim WS, Choi EJ. The relationship between verbal abuse, psychosocial stress, and nursing performance in nurse. Jour of KoCon.a 2017;17(8):586-96. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.08.586
18. Jeon HO. The effects of verbal violence in clinical practice, academic stress coping, and depression on professional self-concepts among Korean nursing students. JKAIS 2018;19(8):501-12. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.18.8.501
19. Kim YM. The educational implications for positive psychological capital and psychological well-being of emotional intelligence of nursing students. AJMAHS 2017;7(7):309-23. https://doi.org/10.14257/ajmahs.2017.07.17
20. Jeong E, Jang MR. Influences of compassion satisfaction, compassion fatigue, and burnout on positive psychological capital of clinical nurses. J KoCon.a 2018;18(3):246-55. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2018.18.03.246
21. Lee HR, Shin MK. Factors affecting post traumatic stress disorder of the verbal violence experienced nurses. J Health Info Stat 2013;38(1):15-25.
22. Lee SH, Park JY, Lee KM, Shin EH, Park JM, Nan HA, et al. The convergence effects of commitment of organization and positive psychological capital in nurse on burnout. Journal of Digital Convergence 2016;14(6):335-45. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.335
23. Kim IS, Seo YB, Kim BN, Min AR. The effects of positive psychological capital, organizational commitment, customer orientation in clinical nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2015;21(1):10-9. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.1.10
24. Win YS, Park SY, Kim JS. Study on the effect of self-efficacy and stress-coping method of dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(5):909-19.
25. Hwang DH, Eom S. The convergence influence of emotional labor of clinical dental hygienist working on job stress. - focused on mediating effects of self esteem -. J Korea Converg Soc 2016;7(6):67-74. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206307300814