Department of Dental Hygiene, Songwon University 1
Objectives: This study was conducted to investigate the factors affect the oral health examination of local community elder for 13,344 using the data of the community health survey. Methods: The dependent variable included answers yes or no about receiving oral examination while the independent variable included general characteristics, health behavior and oral health behavior. The IBM SPSS Statistics 20.0 program was used for frequency analysis, Chi-square test and logistic regression analysis. Results: Factors influencing affect receiving the oral examination was significantly higher in the answer yes group with the score of 1.18 (95% Cl 1.04-1.34) compared to the group that answered no to the question of marriage, significantly higher in the group that answered yes with the score of 1.36 (95% Cl 1.18-1.56) compared to the group that answered no to exposure to anti-smoking campaigns, significantly higher in the group that answered yes with the score of 3.53 (95% Cl 3.05-4.10) compared to the group that answered yes about health examination experience, significantly higher in the group that answered yes with the score of 1.50 (95% Cl 1.19-1.87) compared to the group that answered no about tooth brushing after breakfast and significantly higher in the group that answered yes with the score of 4.00 (95% Cl 3.55-4.37) compared to the group that answered no to whether they have had scaling experience. Conclusions: The study results show that the elderly had a low rate of oral examination. It is necessary to increase preventive treatments and continue studies on oral health examination in the elderly.
1. Statistics Korea. Population projections for 2010-2060[Internet]. Statistics Korea. [cited 2017 Apr 20]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/2/1/index.board
2. Kang HS, Kim KW, Kim SJ, Kim YN, Kim HS, Park KJ, et al. Introduction to dental hygiene. 7th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2017: 15.
3. Kim MA, Kim JS, Woo HS, Lee SJ, Lee SY, Lee HO, et al. Public health. 2nd ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2016: 3-22.
4. Ha JE, Han GS, Kim NH, Jin BH, Kim HD, Park DI, et al. The improvement of oral health – related quality of life by the national senile prosthetic restoration program. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009;33(2):227-34.
5. Kim MJ. The effects of life habits of some elders on subjective symptoms of periodontal disease. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(3):425-33. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15. 03.42
6. Song JS, Nam CH. An analysis on oral health knowledge and satisfaction degree of dental care patients. J Korean Public Health Assoc 1997;23(2):82-100.
7. Lee ES, Kim KM, Kim HJ. Status of oral health in relation to the acknowledgement of oral health trouble and oral health habits in recipients of dental screening in hospital. J Health Service Management 2016;10(2):121-31. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2016.10.2.121
8. Noh EM. The effect of oral health of the elderly on their social efficacy and personal relations [Doctoral dissertation]. Daegu: Univ. of Daegu Haany, 2010.
9. Park JY. The impact of health status of for the elderly on oral health-related of life quality. J Digital Convergence 2014;12(5):271-80. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.5.271
10. Kang SY, Lee JA, Kim YS. Knowledge and attitude of health care providers for Korean national health examination. Korean J Health Promot 2017;17(4):252-8. https://doi.org/10. 15384/kjhp.2017.17.4.252
11. Bioin. 2015 national health screening statistical yearbook[Internet]. National Health Insurance. [cited 2018 Apr 20]. Available from: http://www.bioin.or.kr/board.do?num=265549&cmd=view &bid=tech
12. Ahn ES, Shin HS. Effectiveness of oral examination for infants and toddlers : effects on sub-sequent utilization and costs. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2017;41(2):73-9. https://doi.org/10. 11149/jkaoh.2017.41.2.73
13. Yoon HS, Chae YJ. Oral health care behavior according to dental screening of local com-munity residents (using community health survey data 2014. J Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society 2017;18(8):265-72. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.8.265
14. Sheiham A. Dental caries affects body weight, growth and quality of life in preschool children. Br Dent J 2006;201:625-6.
15. Yeo JY, Jeong HS. Determinants of dental screening and unmet dental needs : interaction effect between geographical accessibility and economic affordability. J Health Economics 2012;18 (4):109-26.
16. Jung ES, Lee KH. A study on the correlation between self-perceived oral health status and periodontal diseases in elderly Koreans. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(6):1135-45. https:// doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.06.1135
17. Paik DI. Knowledge, attitude, and practices about dental caries among Koreans. J Korean Acad Dent Health 1993;17(1):1-12.
18. Jung ES. Research on health and oral health status of elderly living alone compared to elderly living with their families–based on the data (2014) from the 6th two-year Korea national health and nutrition examination survey. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(1):99-110. https:// doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.01.99
19. Jang HM, Hwang SJ. Recognition and satisfaction of national oral examination for workers in Incheon and Daejeon. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14(4):516-24.
20. Park KY, An HG. Factors influencing the health examination in middle-aged men in Korea-using data from the 6 Korea national health and nutrition examination survey (2013). J Korean Data Anal Soc 2009;18(2):1035-49.
21. Park HR. A study on the status of oral health and oral health attitude of workers in industries. J Dent Hyg Sci 2006;6(3):177-86.
22. Moon SJ, Kim HN, Goo IY. Research on the smoking conditions of college students and the behavior and awareness of oral hygiene. J Contents Assoc 2012;12(11):258-66.
23. Kim KY. The percentage of adolescents who brush their teeth after lunch and its related factors. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(3):441-8.
24. Kim MK, Kim YI, Lim CY. Oral health behavior that caused by periodic oral examinations of patient who visited dental hygiene practical lab for clinical dental hygiene practical training. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2015;17(1):1-9.
25. Lee HS, Lee KH. Recognition about national health insurance of dental scaling in industry accident injury patients. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(4):561-8. https://doi.org/10.13065/ jksdh.2013.13.4.561