Department of Dental Hygiene, Masan University1
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to examine the current status of the relationship between clinical practice stress, satisfaction and self-concept of dental hygiene department students in order to effectively implement the clinical practice, which is a necessary course for professional dental hygienists. Methods: The subjects in this study were 299 dental hygiene department students who participated in clinical practice. The survey was conducted from November 1, 2017 to December 31, using self-filling questionnaire (INJE 2017-08-004-002). Statistical analysis was conducted to identify the clinical practice characteristics, clinical practice stress, satisfaction and self-concept and the results according to clinical practice characteristics were compared through t-test and ANOVA. The regression analysis was conducted to identify the effects on self concept. Results: Clinical practice stress, satisfaction and self concept were identified to be significant(p<0.01). Multiple regression analysis results of the factors affecting self concept of study subjects showed that self concept was statistically significant in grade, education programs and satisfaction. Conclusions: Self-concept, clinical practice stress and satisfaction were significantly correlated. In order to raise the quality of clinical practice and to become a professional dental hygienist, it is necessary to continue research on the measures to improve the stress management and satisfaction in clinical practice for establishing self-concept.
1. Park HS, Bae YJ, Jung SY. A study on self-esteem, self-efficacy, coping methods and the academic and job-seeking stress of nursing students. J Korean Acad Psy-chiatr Ment Health Nurs 2002;9:621-31.
2. Monat A, Lazarus RS. Stress and coping: an anthology. 2nd ed. New York: Columbia University Press; 1985: 17-29.
3. Park JW, Seo SK. A study on the stress of a college students. Daegu Health College 2006; 26(1):131-49.
4. Statistics. Korea. 2017. Stress level of daily life[Internet]. [cited 2017 Dec 4]. Available from http://kostat.go.kr/wnsearch/search.jsp
5. Kim SK, Jung YS. Dental hygiene students' stress during clinical practices and stress coping styles. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(5):887-95.
6. Park IS, Lee SH. A study on the satisfaction of clinical training according to dental hygienist duties. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(4):295-302.
7. Commission on Dental Accreditation. ADA; Accreditation standard for dental hygiene edu-cation program[Internet]. [cited 2017 Dec 4]. Available from: https://www.ada.org/en/coda/ current-accreditation-standards/revised-accreditation-standards
8. Won BY, Jang GW, Hwang MY, Jang JH. Analysis on the current status of clinical practice and training in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(6):993-1007.
9. Jang MH, Kim JH. Influencing factors on attitude, stress and satisfaction in clinical practice. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14(3):407-15.
10. Cha SK, Lee EM. Comparison of stress, depression and suicidal idea between nursing and other major student. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2014;20(4):650-8.
11. Lee HK. Relationship between self-leadership in clinical practice and stress. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(5):827-33. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.827
12. Kang YJ. A study on the professional self-concept of dental hygiene students and their satisfa-c-tion level with clinical practice. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Edu 2009;9(1):73-84.
13. Choi JH, Ko EK, Lee SL. Influence of achievement motivation and self concept on clinical practice satisfaction in the dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(2): 287-93. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.02.287
14. Seo WH. Nursing college students' nursing professional self-concept and their satisfaction with clinical nursing practicum[Master’s thesis]. Daegu: Univ of Kyungpook National, 2007.
15. Song KE, Noh CH. An analytical study of the professional self-concept of hospital nurses in Korea. J Korean Acad Nurs 1996;26(1):94-106.
16. Baek CM. A study on the Stress according to clinical training in Department of Radiology [Master’s thesis]. Seosan: Univ. of Hanseo, 2012.
17. Shim HS, Lee HN. Stress and coping of dental hygiene students in clinical practice. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014;14:139-45.
18. Lee SH, Kim S, Kim JA. Nursing students' image of nurse and satisfaction with clinical practice. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2004;10(2):219-31.
19. Park IS, Lee SH. A study on the satisfaction of clinical training according to dental hygienist duties. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(4):295-302.
20. Lee HN, Kim EM. Anxiety and fatigue related to dental practices of dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14(2):131-7.
21. Park MY. Nursing student's stress and anger experience in the clinical setting. J Korean Nurs Educ 2001;7(1):7-21.
22. Park HJ, Jang IS. Stress, depression, coping styles and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students. J Korean Nurs Educ 2010;16(1):14-23.
23. Kim SL, Lee JE. Relationship among stress coping strategies, and self-esteem in nursing students taking clinical experience. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2005;11(1):98-106.
24. Han YK, Kim HH. The effects of clinical practice satisfaction on image of dental hygienists in dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015;15(4):457-64.
25. Kim SK, Jung YS. Dental hygiene students’ stress during clinical practices and stress coping styles. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(5):887-95.
26. Yu HS. Relationship among stress of clinical practice, practice satisfaction and clinical com-petence in nursing students. J Korean Data Anal Soc 2015;17(2):1129-44.