Department of Dental Hygiene, Graduate School of Public Health, Gachon University1
Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Health Science, Gachon University2
Objectives: This study aimed to identify measures that can improve the quality of dental hygienists’ work by analyzing the effects of role stress, resilience, and professional identity on burnout. Methods: Self-report questionnaires were administered to 339 dental hygienists working in dental institutions located in Seoul, Incheon, and Gyeong-gi, South Korea from August 1 to September 30, 2017. Results: Out of a maximum of 5 points, role stress scored an average of 2.80, resilience scored 3.61, professional identity scored 3.27, and burnout scored 2.78. The factor that most affected the exhaustion of dental hygienists was professional identity (β=-0.397), followed by role stress (β=0.251), and resilience (β=-0.150). Conclusions: The results showed that the role stress, resilience, and professional identity of dental hygienists affected burnout. Efforts to reinforce the resilience and professional identity of dental hygienists may be needed alongside efforts to reduce role stress. Hence, resilience reinforcement programs alongside supplemental education programs that reinforce the work skills required of dental hygienists according to their clinical experience after graduation should be developed.
1. Chun JR. The influence of management's leadership style on employee's turnover intention. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society 2011;12(12):5550-7. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5550
2. Kwon SJ, Bae SK. Analysis of impact factors of affective commitment in organization of dental hygienist in busan area-focused on quality of working life(QWL). J Korea Contents Assoc 2009;9(5):156-65.
3. Park EJ. Study on job stress and job satisfaction of dental hygienist[Master’s thesis]. Jeonju: Univ. of Chonbuk National, 2003.
4. Jung JO, Song KS. A study on job stress and job satisfaction of dental hygienists working in dental clinics. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(4):305-12.
5. Lim EJ, Lee YM. Influence of the job stress, resilience, and professional identity on burnout in operation room nurses. J Korean Critical Care Nurs 2017;10(1):31-40.
6. Jin YS. The study of the effect on work satisfaction for the social worker's stress and the control effect of social support. Journal of Community Welfare 2009;29:31-55.
7. Yoon GS, Kim SY. Influences of job stress and burnout on turnover intention of nurses. Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2010;16(4):507-16.
8. Kang MH, Jang SJ. Convergent relationship between emotional labor, burnout, job satisfaction and turnover intention in the dental hygienists. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society 2017;8(8):95-103. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.8.095
9. Kim SN, Yoo MS. Relationships between resilience, job stress, and organizational commitment in ICU nurses. J Korean Acad Soc Home Care Nurs 2014;21(1):36-43.
10. Jackson D, Firtko A, Edenborough M. Personal resilience as a strategy for surviving and thriving in the face of workplace adversity: a literature review. Journal of Advanced Nursing 2007;60(1):1-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04412.x
11. Kim MJ, Park YS, Kwon YH. The effects of clinical nurses’ resilience and social problem-solving ability on burnout. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society 2015;16(2):1284-91. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1284
12. Park JW. Study on the professional identity of social worker[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul national, 1994.
13. Kim JH, Ahn HY, Eom MR, Lee MY. A study of emergency room nurses' burn-out, nursing performance, and professional identity. Korean J Occup Health Nurs 2010;19(1):50-9.
14. Lee HS, Jang KA. Factors affecting clinical competence of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(5):331-8. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.5.331.
15. Kim JY. Influence of emotional labor on job burnout in dental hygienists: the moderating effect of employee support. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(5):751-58. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.05.751
16. Rizzo JR, House RJ, Lirtzman SI. Role conflict and ambiguity in complex organizations. Administrative Science Quarterly 1970;150-63.
17. Lim KJ. A study on analyzing correlation among role conflicts, role confusions, work satisfaction, and customer-oriented character of dental hygienists[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyunghee, 2012.
18. Shin WY, Kim MG, Kim JH. Developing measures of resilience for korean adolescents and testing cross, convergent, and discriminant validity. Studies on Korean Youth 2009;20(4):105-31.
19. Hall RH. Professionalization and Bureaucratization. American Sociological Review 1968;33(1):92-104.
20. Kim JS, Yu KL. A moderating effect of professional identity for the professional school counselors in the relationship between role conflict and burnout. Korean Journal Of Counseling And Psychotherapy 2010;22(1):53-69.
21. Shin KH. The maslach bunout inventory-general survey(MBI-GS): an application in south korea. Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology 2003;16(3):1-17.
22. Lee JY. Effects of non-commissioned officers’ role stress on burnout, depression, and turnover intention. J Korea Contents Assoc 2015;15(4):303-15. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.04.303
23. Lee BH, Kim JS. Analysis of the correlation of burnout, job satisfaction and turnover of dental hygienists. J Korea Contents Assoc 2010;10(11):217-27. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.11.217
24. Jung JY, Han SJ. Awareness and educational needs on preventive dental treatment among oral health workers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(5):875-87.
25. Kassebaum NJ, Bernabe E, Dahiya M, Bhandari B, Murray CJ, Marcenes W. Global burden of severe tooth loss: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Dent Res 2014;93(7):20-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034514537828
26. Yang SK. Vocational competency constituents affecting the professionalism of dental hygienists. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society 2015;16(10):6558-66. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.6558
27. Kim JH. Resilience. Goyang: wisdomhouse, 2011: 219-51.
28. Foureur M, Besley K, Burton G, Yu N, Crisp J. Enhancing the resilience of nurses and midwives: pilot of a mindfulnessbased program for increased health, sense of coherence and decreased depression, anxiety and stress. Contemp Nurse 2013;45(1):114-25. https://doi.org/10.5172/conu.2013.45.1.114
29. Kim HM, Cho YS. Validity and reliability of professional identity of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2017;17(6):533-42.