Department of Dental Hygiene, Daejeon Health Institute of Technology1
Samsung family dental clinic2
Objectives: This study was conducted to understand the influencing factors of job satisfaction of clinical dental hygienists in schoolwork, and use the basic data to enhance their job satisfaction. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 210 dental clinic hygienists from June 10 to August 30 of 2018. Data were analyzed using SPSS 22.0. Independent t-test, one-way ANOVA, Scheffe’s post-hoc test, and Pearson correlation coefficient were reviewed, and a multiple regression analysis was conducted. Results: The scores of subjects' professional self-concept, self-esteem, job stress, and job satisfaction were 3.37, 3.80, 2.79, and 3.37, respectively. The influencing factors of job satisfaction of clinical dental hygienists in schoolwork included marital status, support in workplace, professional self-concept, and job stress, with 41.6% of the explanatory power. Conclusions: The stronger the professional self-concept, the lower the job-stress and higher the job satisfaction. The job satisfaction was also higher in the group in which the subjects were married and getting support in the workplace compared to the other group with no support in the workplace. Therefore, support systems and institutional support are required for clinical dental hygienists to be continuously educated in the workplace.
1. Chang HR, Hong HJ, Noh YH, Oh EK. A study on the curriculum development of continuing education for academic librarians in Korea. J Korean Lib Inform Sci Soc 2008;42(3):133-68.
2. Korean dental hygienists association. Introduction to KDHA, Related Sites[Internet]. Korean dental hygienists association.[cited 2019 Jan 15]. Available from: http://www.kdha.or.kr /introduce/relatedsite.aspx.
3. Jung YR, Choi HS. Analysis of learner needs for advanced dental hygiene major courses. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009;9(1):193-205.
4. Kim SY, Kim JY. A study on the recognition and requirement of dental hygienists for enforcing specialty. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(1):19-30.
5. Han JH, Jung YR, Jung YS. A demand for opening and a plan for operation on major deepening course for department of dental hygiene in some regions. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(3):363-72.
6. Korean Dental Hygienists Association. Korean Association of Dental Hygiene Professors. The history of dental hygiene education in Korea. Seoul: Daehannarae publishing; 2015: 177-202.
7. Choi J, Park HJ. Professional self-concept, self-efficacy and job satisfaction of clinical nurse in schoolwork. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2009;15(1):37-44.
8. You MA, Son YJ. The relationships of work-family conflict, social support, job satisfaction, and organizational commitment in Korean married hospital nurses. Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2009;16(4):515-23.
9. Lee SM, Kim SH. Effects of professionalism and self-efficacy on the job satisfaction of dental hygienists using the structural equation model. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12(3):271-7.
10. Cho HE, Moon IB. The effects of job satisfaction by the optimism, self-efficacy and job stresses of dental hygienists. Korean Public Health Research 2014;40(4):121-32.
11. Kim HY, Choi JO, Seong MG. The effect of self-efficacy and job satisfaction of dental hygienists`on the organizational commitment and turnover intention. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(1):213-23.
12. Min HH. The relationships of professional self-concept, self-esteem and job satisfaction of clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2018;18(1):55-63. https://doi.org/10. 13065/jksdh.2018.18.01.55
13. Sung MH, Kim YH, Ha MJ. The relationships of professional self-concept, professional autonomy and self-esteem to job satisfaction of clinical nurses. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2011;18(4):547-55.
14. Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. Hillsdale, NJ:Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 1988: 407-14.
15. Arthur D. The development of an instrument for measuring the professional self-concept of nurses[Master’s thesis]. Newcastle: Univ. of Newcastle, 1990.
16. Sherer M, Maddux JE, Mercandante B, Prentice-Dunn S, Jacobs B, Rogers RW. The self-efficacy scale: construction and validation. Psychol Rep 1982;51(2):663-71. https://doi.org /10.2466/pr0.1982512663
17. Kim JH, Park EO. The effect of job-stress and self-efficacy on depression of clinical nurses. Korean J Occup Health Nurs 2012;21(2):134-44.
18. Chang SJ, Koh SB, Kang DM, Kim SA, Kang MG, Lee CG, et al. Developing an occupational stress scale for Korean employees. Korean J Occup Environ Med 2005;17(4):297-317.
19. Slavitt DB, Stamp PL, Piedmont EB, Hasse AM. Nurses’ satisfaction with their work situation. Nurs Res 1978;27(2):114-2.
20. Kim SJ. Effects of ego resilience and professional self concept on job satisfaction among nurses in schoolwork[Master’s thesis]. Gongju: Univ. of Gongju, 2016.
21. Kim Y, Lee BI. Affecting factors on nurses' stress-coping in schoolwork. Korean J Occup Health Nurs 2010;19(2):150-8.
22. Choi SH, Byun EK. Factors influencing job stress among nurses currently under academic credit bank system. J East-West Nurs Res 2015;21(1):36-42. https://doi.org/ 10.14370/jewnr.201521136
23. Lee SH. Study on the relationship between professional self-concept, self-efficacy and job satisfaction in clinical nurses. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2008;20(1):10-20.